Foot Care Presentations to Toronto Community Groups
McDermott Footcare gives informational foot care presentations to Toronto seniors’ and community groups. A recent two-day presentation and foot care demonstration was given to the St. Lucia Toronto Association.
Members of the St. Lucia Toronto Association asked many relevant questions regarding foot care. Here are some of their voiced concerns:
What can a certified foot care nurse do for me? A certified foot care nurse can:
- clip and file toenails, including thickened, discoloured, fungal toenails
- recognize the presence of athlete’s foot
- recommend effective home remedies to treat athlete’s foot or
- advise that a doctor’s treatment and prescription is needed for more severe cases of athlete’s foot
- take out ingrown toenails
- reduce corns and calluses
- provide padding for corns and calluses
- advise clients re: purchasing proper shoes and socks
I am diabetic. How do I look after my feet?
- eat a variety of healthy foods that fall within the guidelines of proper nutrition for diabetics
- check your blood sugar as per physician’s recommendations to maintain blood sugar levels within accepted guidelines
- check your feet daily for any cuts, abrasions, bruises
- contact a certified foot care nurse to provide on-going care of your feet
- click this link to read a McDermott Footcare article about diabetic foot care
What brand of shoe should I buy?
There are many brands on the market that make comfortable shoes; however, it is more important to look at the style of the shoe regardless of the brand. Click the link (here) to learn about guidelines for purchasing good shoes.
If your Toronto and area community and seniors’ group would like to have a speaker regarding how to maintain healthy feet, please contact McDermott Footcare at 416-997-2949 or at firstname.lastname@example.org